Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Question #2 - Animal Farm (Extra Credit)


What is the climax of this novel? What happens? How do the events of this novel make you feel?


In my opinion, the climax of the novel happened when Napoleon brutally betrayed Boxer. Boxer had always been faithful to Napoleon, doing everything he was forced to do and always looking for extra ways to help out on the farm. When Boxer became sick, Napoleon decided that Boxer was of no more use, and sold Boxer to a glue making company. What made the betrayal even more brutal was the fact that Napoleon used the money he received from the glue factory to buy beer for the pigs. Also, he lied to the animals about what really happened to Boxer. Benjamin was trying to convince all the animals that Boxer had been made into glue, but Napoleon told them that Boxer had died in peace. This was the saddest part, that none of the animals, except for Benjamin, knew what had really happened to Boxer.

The events in this novel made me feel very angry. I believe that everyone is created equally, and no one has the right to set themselves above others. Because the pigs were doing this, I absolutely loathed them. Also, I felt very contemplative towards the idea of Communism. I had always thought that Communism was nothing but bad, but as I read this book, I realized that Communism is a very good theory, but it can only be a very good theory. I thought over the pros and cons of a Communist government, and realized that Communism will only lead to a country's self-destruction, because one power hungry leader is all it takes for a nation to die.

No comments: